Habits you should start to form around sleep.
- Make your room super dark. Block out windows, shut off screens, lights off.
- Consistency. I use a “reverse alarm” that reminds me when to go to sleep.
- Wear blue-light blocking glasses in the evenings. I use Gunnar.
- I have 2 pairs of Gunnars, one that blocks 98% and the other is 65%.
- Don’t eat a heavy meal 2-3 hours before bed.
- Don’t have stimulants or alcohol after 4pm.
- Drink caffeine 1 hour after waking up (instead of immediately), and ideally get some natural sun first thing.
I have a stack of supplements that I occasionally use to aid with sleep.
- Get exposure to natural light first thing in the morning. This kicks off a bunch of physiological processes so you’ll be tired when it’s time to sleep.
- Stretching for 10-15 minutes before.
- You can try this video.
- If you have a partner, stretch with them!
- Sleep Audio
- There’s a variety of sounds you can listen to to help you go to sleep. They fall under the categories of Hyponosis, NSDR, Binaural Beats, Sleep Stories, or even white noise. I collect a bunch of them in this Spotify playlist.
- Grounding Mat
- Weighted Blanket
- Comfortable Mattress (I use Helix)
- I like Moondream curtains. They block noise, light, and even EMF.
- I use an EightSleep Pod Cover to keep my bed slightly cooler than room temperature.
October 26, 2022