Forms of Breathing
- Cyclic Sighing: (source)
- Daily 5-minute breathwork and mindfulness meditation improve mood and reduce anxiety
- Breathwork improves mood and physiological arousal more than mindfulness meditation
- Cyclic sighing is most effective at improving mood and reducing respiratory rate
- Psychological Sigh: (source)
- “A kill switch for your stress response”
- Two short inhales through the nose
- One long exhale through the mouth
- Repeat one to three times
- 10 deep breaths during moments of anxiety
Over time, shallow breathing limits the range of our diaphragms and lung capacity. The result is the high-shouldered, chest-out, neck-extended posture and other respiratory problems - Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art
- Square Breathing
- 4 Second Inhale, 4 Second Hold, 4 Second Exhale, 4 Second Hold
- Wim Hoff Method (source)
- Just watch this 11 minute video and follow along.
- Inhale fully and exhale partially 30 times.
- Inhale slowly and hold as long as you can. Exhale slowly.
- Inhale and hold for 10-15 seconds. Exhale slowly.
- Repeat 3-5 times.
Other fun facts
- Exhaling is calming, inhaling activates alertness. Any breath pattern that has more exhaling generally calms you down.
- Breathing through the left nostril increases the activity in the right side of the brain while breathing through the right nostril stimulates the left side of the brain. (source)
January 15, 2023